Today when I visit my blog http://www.mahakumbhfestival.com/ its home page was fine but other pages were showing 404 error. I faced similar type of problem for my another blog which has very less traffic so it don’t affect much but this has special importance for me. I was unaware why I was getting 404 error for all pages even though these posts were in my database and I can view them on my WordPress dashboard. To know more on this issue I contact my web hosting provider for resolving this bug which making my website unreachable to world.
Solution to the problem
If you’re using search engine friendly URLs than you may get similar error pages. This happen because of .htaccess file which has rules for mapping website URLs to posts. If any how your .htaccess file is updated by any plugin or theme and it deleted some of its part than it may cause you similar problem. you have to again update this file by writing mapping for URLs or can ask your hosting provider for re installing this file from your website backup and you will have your website working.
How to Transfer your wordpress website to new webserver
If you are planning for changing your web hosting service provider but worried how to migrate your websites to other hosting server than here is the answer for your query. It is very simple to migrate from on server to other. You have to follow these steps and you will have your blog on your new webserver.
- Create zip file of your public web directory (where you have files of your website) for your website on current web server. This file will include all your themes, plugins and images.
- Download zip file from server to your personal computer.
- Export your database using phpadmin which is available under your database tab on your hosting account. Also note down the database names and passwords it will required for creating new databases on new web server.
- Now upload zip file using File Manager (that will be your public or root directory) than unzip it where you want to install your wordpress blog or website.
- Create new databases on your new server name it same as previous one. Keep the username and password same as last one.
- Import your sql file to newly created database on new hosting account.
- Now check the config.php file for username , password and servername.
- Its time to change you DNS setting on your domain registrar account to your new web hosting provider. Once you have done this it may take 2 to 24 hrs to propagate this change around the world.
I have recently moved my websites to Fatcow web hosting as it is cheap and provides best service at low cost.